Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Here's My latest Lettered Lovespoon

I've completely lost track of just how many lettered Lovespoons that I have completed so far.  The number has to be in the high 30s or low 40s by this time.  This is just the latest in the series.  Lady's initial on top, guy's initial on the bottom and they are locked together.  In this case, really locked!

This spoon is a bit special in that I was also able to incorporate the "S" of the customer's last name into the handle.  Most letters don't lend themselves to that.

This one was part of a two spoon donation to an auction to help raise funds for church youth trip to Detroit this summer.   That's reminds me, I really have to ask the buyer of the other spoon about what she is looking for in her spoon.  She made an appointment to talk about it but a school snow-day dashed those plans.

I don't have too much else to say about this one except that I'm glad that it actually worked out.  Most of the time Basswood is very forgiving, but the piece that I cut this spoon out of was very fibrous and kept breaking away as I carved.  I had quite a time.  Thank goodness for sandpaper and polyurethane!  It took a lot of sanding to make it smooth.

'Til Next Time...Keep Makin' Chips!


No comments: