Thursday, March 7, 2013

Hurricane Sandy Mission Trip



One of the men from work has been instrumental in arranging and leading groups from a local church on numerous mission trips to New Orleans to help rebuild homes damaged as a result of the horrible Hurricane that stuck there a number of years ago.

This year, the group decided to direct their efforts towards Hurricane damage a little closer to home: the New Jersey shore destruction caused by Hurricane Sandy.  It has only been a few months since the disaster and the infrastructure in NJ for directing aid to people in need is not yet as well established as one might hope.  There were a number of starts and stops before they could connect with a group with sufficient organization to make the trip productive.  Once they did, my friend asked me to provide carving for them to take along as I have done in the past.   

Traditionally, the group votes the last night of the trip on who should receive the carving – whether it should be one of the families that they helped or the local group that made it possible.  Since they are not back yet, I still don’t know who received it.

As a postscript, while there were there this week, the group got to experience some of the very same weather problems that they went to help repair.  I hope all is well.

So here it is:


The carving is based on a portion of the NJ group’s logo.  Not much else to say about it.  Since I really can’t do too much to help out physically, it makes me feel good that I can help them celebrate their efforts.

'Til next time...Keep makin' chips!

No comments: