Thursday, January 5, 2012

I guess this piece really can’t be considered a “lovespoon” because it doesn’t have all of the normal lovespoon characteristics.  Instead, I’d have to categorize it as an “L’object D’art”, especially since I have introduced some color into the equation. (Note: the color is not quite as bold as it appears in the photo.)

Long ago, back in the dim, dark past, I found and saved a picture of this design with the intent to carve one for myself someday.  Back in November, I saw a spoon just like this (sans color) at the Dayton Woodcarver’s Show and resolved to make it my next project.  (By the way, if that was your spoon and I didn’t comment to you at the time, you did a really nice job!)

When I located my copy of the picture, I decided that, even though the leaves were good reproductions of actual maple leaves, they were “way too busy” for the rest of the spoon.  The original design also had one less leaf, leaving (IMHO) a big “hole” that detracted from the overall look.  I set out to modify the design.

I shopped around on Google Images and found a nice replacement leaf -- still a Maple but a different species -- one with broader points and smoother edges.  I incorporated the new leave and “plugged” the hole.

Recently, I have been trying to move in the direction of more delicate spoons.  While this one may not be super-delicate, I found that the section of the handle near the bowl was thin enough to flex slightly if I put too much pressure on it during the sanding process.  Easy does it there, Tom!
  
Color


At one point, I thought it was “done”, but my living-in, home-decorating consultant indicated that the spoon needed some color to fully bring out the leaves and make it go better with the walls in the dining room.  I didn’t necessarily disagree with her opinion but using colored washes to blend colors together has never been one of my strengths.  So I approached the idea of painting my latest creation with just a “bit” of trepidation.  Then, I reminded myself that it was “just a piece of wood” that in the event that I ruined it by doing a crumby paint job, I could always carve a new one.  So I plunged ahead.  I’m glad now that I did.   

After all, it’s all about growth, isn’t it? :-)

I went back to Google Images and found some really nice shots of autumn leaves.  I spent the best part of two evenings applying wash after wash after wash.  Finally, the color blending seemed to work and I stopped.  There can be too much of a good thing.

I think that this “toe-in-the-water” into the realm spoon painting worked, so I’ll probably do some more.  Besides, I just learned that now we need another piece for the other side of the dining room window :-)

One for the Bench

"Don't get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and it just makes you walk funny." - Kathryn Carpenter

‘Til Next time…Keep makin’ chips!

No comments: